Home Tourism


 
Vijayawada Tourism
Kanaka Durga Temple PDF Print E-mail
Tourism

One of the most popular temples in and around Vijayawada, it is located on a hill Indrakeeladri overlooking the city as well as the River Krishna. One can either motor up the ghat road or take to the steps on foot. Inscriptions of different dynasties are found in the temple. During Dasara (Durgashtami), lakhs of devotees from the city and its environs throng the temple after a holy dip in the River Krishna close by.

Read more...
 
Prakasam Barrage PDF Print E-mail
Tourism

Prakasam Barrage is built across the Krishna River and is located at the outskirts of Vijayawada in Krishna District. Prakasam Barrage is 1223.5 m long and was completed in the year 1957.

The barrage across the Krishna, first built by "Sir Arthur Cotton" more than a hundred years ago and later reconstructed in the 1950s, had been in a state of disrepair since the construction of the Vijayawada Thermal Power Station (VTPS) in 1979, as water level up to a minimum of 17.42 metres has to be maintained to facilitate the passage of water into the cooling canal which carries water to the thermal plant at Ibrahimpatnam.

As VTPS with a capacity of 1,260 MWs (six units of 210 MWs each) is one of the major sources of power to the power-starved State, the barrage could not be depleted for the past 22 years.
 
Read more...
 
Hazrathbal Mosque PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Hazrat Bal Mosque, a site of religious significance in Vijayawada . A holy relic of Prophet Mohammad is kept here and displayed once a year.
 
Undavalli Caves PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Undavalli Caves 8 kms. from Vijayawada, these caves are said to be carved in 7th century A.D. Buddhist monks used this two-storeyed cave structure as a rest house during the monsoon. A huge monolith of the Lord Buddha in reclining posture is a magnificent sight.
 
Gandhi Hill Vijayawada PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
The first Gandhi Memorial with seven stupas in the country was constructed on this hill at a height of 500 ft. The 52 ft. stupa was unveiled on 6th October, 1968 by Dr. Zakir Hussain, the then President of India. Gandhi Memorial Library, a Sound and Light Show on Mahatma Gandhi’s life and a planetarium are the other attractions.

Where : Tarapet main road, Back side of Railway Station, Vijayawada Onetown.

Timings: 4pm - 8:30pm (Tuesday Holly day)

Entry Fee: Rs. 3/-

Impotence: Mahatma Gandhi's Photo exhibition, Train & Planetarium

Train Fee: Rs 5/-


PLANETARIUM

Entry Fee: Rs. 10/-
Below 5 years children not allowed
 
Bhavani Island Vijayawada PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Perhaps one of the largest Islands on a river, Bhavani Island is located on Krishna River close to the city. AP Tourism is converting this 133-acre island into an attractive tourist spot and a River Front Resort. Journey to the island by boat is very pleasant.
 
Mangalagiri PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
12 kms from Vijayawada is the renowned temple of Lord Narasimha in Mangalagiri, on a hillock. The unique feature of this temple is that the mouth of the idol accepts half the quantity of Panakam (jaggery dissolved in water) offered by devotees, irrespective of the size of the vessel.
 
Rajiv Gandhi Park PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Created by the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation with great care, this park welcomes the tourists at the entrance of the city with its impressive horticultural network. A mini zoo and a musical water fountain are added to it.

Where: Pandit Javaharlal Nehru Bastand spielautomaten back side, Vijayawada

Timings: Weekdays 2pm - 9pm
Saturday & Sunday 2pm - 10pm

Entry Fee: Adults Rs. 3/-
Children Rs. 2/-
 
Victoria Jubilee Museum Vijayawada PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Victoria Jubilee Museum is located on Bandar Road in Vijayawada City. It was constructed in ashlar masonry and is a classic example of the Indo European architectural style. The foundation stone fro the building was laid by Robert Sewell, the then District Collector, Krishna on June 27th 1887, to mark the occasion of Golden Jubilee Celebrations of Queen Victoria’s coronation. The building was constructed to house the industrial exhibition. Later it came under the control of the Zamindaras of Nuzivid, District Board, Krishna and Zilla Parishad of Krishna. In the year 1962 the Department of Archaeology & Museums, Government of Andhra Pradesh took over the building and established an Archaeological Museum.

In 1921, the All India Congress Committee met here, when Sri Pingali Venkayya of Munagala Samsthana presented the tri-colour falg to Mahatama Gandhi in the presence of other great National leaders like Motilal Nehru, Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhai Patel, Lala Lajapati Roy, Babu Rajendra Prasad, Tanguturi Prakasham Pantulu etc. To this tri-colour flag Mahatma Gandhi added the Chakra (wheel) symbol and declared it as the Indian Notational Congress Flag which was declared as the Indian National Flag by the Constituent Assembly on 22nd July, 1947.

Galleries in the Museum are Pre Proto Historic Gallery, Painting Terra Cottas, Bronzes, Bidri Ware, Coins, copper plate inscriptions, Porcelain & Celadon ware, Enamel Ware, Portrait wall, Queen Victoria, napoleon Bonaparte, Madaonna Della Codellino, Mother Mary Adoring Christ, Rembrandt, Rubens Self Portrait, Annexure Gallery, Arms & Armour, Origin of arms and armour, Bows, arrows and quivers, Swords, Daggers, Body armour, Shields, Fire arms, Ornamentation, Sculpture Garden.

Location: The Museum of the Archaeological Department situated on Bandar Road, Near PWD Grounds, Vijayawada
Timings: 10.30am to 5.00pm
Holidays: Every Friday & Public Holidays.

 
Gunadala Matha Shrine PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
In 1925, Rf. Arlati, the then Rector of St. Joseph’s Orphanage at Gundala, installed a statue of Our Lady and later a church was built and consecrated in 1971, now popularly known as St. Mary’s church. Since then the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes became an annual event here, attended by hundreds of people. The church is situated on a hillock on the eastern side of the city.
 
Hinkar Thirtha (Jain Temple) PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
A Jain temple here with great artistic work, it is slated to be the biggest Jain temple in the region.
 
Kondapalli Fort Vijayawada PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
Kondapalli village is situated 16 kms. from Vijayawada. A 7th century fort on the hill with an impressive three storeyed rock tower was witness to the glory of many dynasties. It served as a business centre. Finally the fort was used as a military training base by the British rulers. A good picnic spot, the village is famous for toy making with light-weight wood available on the hill forest. These toys are famous world-over as “Kondapalli toys”.
 
Mogalarajapuram Caves PDF Print E-mail
Tourism
These caves are said to be excavated in 5th century A.D. The caves are reputed to be the first of their kind in South India. The idols of Lord Nataraja, Vinayaka & Arthanareeswara are carved here.
 


 
We have 169 guests online